Getting to know new people
It's always interesting to get to know new people in the 8+ Nordcloudian offices and seeing some of the cultural differences (and similarities!).
Our growth story is pretty inspiring and many people often ask me how different are the cultures and teams from each other in different countries. Our Cloud Architect from the Amsterdam office, Martijn Scholten
, gave me some answers (it's really not that different!).
Here is his story:
- Where are you from and how did you end up at Nordcloud? I grew up in the east of Netherlands, next to the border of Germany in a small town called Denekamp. In 2014 I moved to Amersfoort for a job where I started as a Software Engineer and gradually found my passion in AWS. I joined Nordcloud in August 2018, as I was actively looking for a next challenge where I could work with a big team of cloud architects.
- What do you like most about working at Nordcloud? Flexibility (like when and where to work) and open & flat organisation with great colleagues. Also the fact that I get the possibility to travel and to work with the latest technologies makes it an awesome company to work for.
- What is the most useful thing you have learned at Nordcloud? I think so far it’s the business side of things like proposals and I've realised how well our colleagues work together even though we are in different countries.
- What sets you on fire/ What’s your favourite thing technically with public cloud? Helping people out is something I really enjoy; this could be a customer or a co-worker with a difficult technical question. The favourite thing about public cloud is that it moves so fast that I keep learning new things everyday.
- What do you do outside work? One of my hobbies is Brazilian jiu-jitsu as I've practised martial arts for 13 years from Taekwondo, Kickboxing to MMA. I also like travelling to distant countries to experience different cultures. The highlights so far have been Vietnam, Indonesia and Morocco. I also enjoy watching movies, playing video games, hanging out with friends and family of course, and every now and then drinking a beer.
- Best memory at working as a Nordcloudian? Friday afternoon beers together. Those are great moments to wind down from a busy week and share thoughts together.
I hope that gave a good overall picture of a Nordcloudian, who's relatively new to the company and has already gotten integrated to the team with great responsibilities, freedom and trust and of course, keeps learning new things every day. If a team like this sounds like a match to you, don't hesitate to get in touch!!
We are hiring a Cloud Architect to our Dutch team so we'd love to hear from you. Click the button to the job description and guidelines on how to apply!