You may remember the last upgrade cycle when Windows 2003 ran out of support.
Microsoft announced this summer that Azure will include extended support for SQL Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 servers that are quickly approaching their End of support. The upcoming End of Support milestone is a great opportunity to transform your applications and infrastructure to take advantage of Azure cloud computing.
Here is the timeline for End of Support:
- Extended Support for SQL Server 2008 and 2008 R2 will end on July 9, 2019.
- Extended Support for Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 will end on January 14, 2020.
- Extended Security Updates will be available for free in Azure for 2008 and 2008 R2 versions of SQL Server and Windows Server to help secure your workloads for three more years after the End of support deadline.
This means Azure is an ideal place for older SQL and Windows servers. Customers would still get patches and support from Microsoft for a couple more years and have time to find a replacement for old applications.
Finding a business case to re-install a working application might not be easy though and applications might not support newer OS versions. If it could, it would require many days to manually do the re-installation.
Here is how to make a business case out of migrating to Azure:
- Azure costs
- using reserved instances,
- hybrid benefits,
- Extended support cost if left as-is (20% of server license costs per year)
- Free extended support
- Azure also provides other excellent services for older servers, such as network micro-segmentation, automatic OS patches etc.
Nordcloud´s migration factory
Migrating older OS with a long history might not be easy and straightforward. Many “generations of administrators and hosters” have installed and uninstalled software leaving Garbage and errors on the servers, meaning that migration needs to be carefully planned and tested. Initial plans might not work because the migration agent is not willing to install on top of the OS however, Nordcloud’s migration factory has different ways and processes to migrate VMs to Azure.
If you would like to find out how to realise the full benefits of migrating to Azure, please read more Migrate to Azure with Nordcloud