Microsoft Azure extends support for both SQL Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 that are quickly approaching their end of support:
- Extended support for SQL Server 2008 and 2008 R2 will end on July 9, 2019.
- Extended support for Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 will end on January 14, 2020.
Extended security updates will be available for free in Azure for 2008 and 2008 R2 versions of SQL Server and Windows Server to help secure your workloads for three more years after the End of support deadline. This means that Azure is an ideal place for older SQL and Windows servers.
Here is how to make a business case out of migrating to Azure:
- Azure costs: using reserved instances, hybrid benefits, rightsizing
- Extended support cost if left as-is (20% of server license costs per year)
- Free extended security updates
- Azure also provides other excellent services for older servers, such as network micro-segmentation, automatic OS patches etc.
Migrate to Azure with Nordcloud, a Microsoft Azure Expert Managed Services Provider
Companies need to evaluate the workloads they have running and consider their options to avoid infrastructure and applications going unprotected, dramatically increasing risk to their IT operations. By migrating to Azure, Microsoft will provide extended security updates for Windows Server 2008 for an additional three years. That means protection for workloads plus ability to access the benefits Azure such as flexibility, cost reductions, reduced time to market and access to new services (such as PaaS, AI and ML).
Nordcloud, a Microsoft Azure Expert MSP, can help you to evaluate your workloads and ensure that you are selecting the best and more cost effective migration process for your at risk workloads.
We Discover – Migrate – Optimise – Manage
- Discover: In depth discovery of 25 `VMWare’ hosts, enabling Nordcloud to provide cost analysis for running in Azure and a migration plan.
- Migrate: Secure deployment of the required Azure infrastructure to ‘land’ your virtual machines. Once you have confirmed that everything is as it should be, Nordcloud conducts the final migration, allowing you to benefit from the security updates though to 2023.
- Optimise: Once your applications are running smoothly in Azure, Nordcloud will start an optimisation process to ensure you are minimising your costs when running in Azure.
- Manage: Nordclouds Managed Cloud Services team will manage the Azure infrastructure on your behalf, quickly resolving or escalating any issues that are detected.